Saturday, February 20, 2010

Guns!

Alright, this is going to be my only post on guns.  There is TONS of in depth information and discussion available out there if you want it.

So, back to the rule of three.  Security is your #1 concern.   Now, is owning a gun going to magically keep you from getting shot?  No, of course not.  But, if you're like me, if somebody does end up shooting at me, I'd like the ability to shoot back!

Two guns is one gun, one gun is no gun.

Ever hear this old adage?   Here is what it means:

 
I bought this gun well used, and put maybe 500 rounds through it.   The last time I took it apart for cleaning I noticed an issue.  First of all I never thought I'd be the owner of a broken gun.  But like anything mechanical they can and do fail.  Secondly, if this was the only handgun I owned, well now I have no guns.  

A close up in case you can't see what I'm talking about:




So if you insist that one gun is all you need I strongly suggest purchasing a number of replacement springs and parts at a minimum.  And then keep your fingers crossed your piece doesn't break like mine did.  Also it's not a bad idea to get spares anyway, no matter how many firearms you own. 

Here are three great sites for gun parts:  Numrich   Wolff Gunsprings   Brownells

I would recommend having a minimum of three guns, or one for every adult in your household, whichever number is greater.

The first gun you should acquire is a handgun.  I'd recommend a semi-auto in 9mm .40 S&W or .45 ACP.  I'd stay away from the fancier/newer cartridges like .357 Sig.  You want something common, something (relatively) easy to find ammo for.

If you prefer revolvers I'd recommend a .357 Magnum.  You can also shoot .38 Specials in them which gives you greater ammo choice.

What are two guns every farmer worth his salt owns?  A shotgun and a 22.  After you get your handgun I'd look for a pump action shotgun, either 12 or 20 gauge.  This weapon is capable of taking small game, flying game, and large game if you load it with slugs.  Very versatile.  Versatility is good. 

The 22 Long Rifle cartridge has put more meat in the pot than any other cartridge in existence.  It's quiet, has no recoil, and ammo is still cheap enough that you can actually afford to practice with it and build a nice stash.  My personal preference would be for a Ruger 10/22.  If you go with a 10/22 you will notice there are TONS of magazines available for it.  Top of the line mags are made by Tactical Innovations.  

One thing about 22 ammo...there is so much of a selection available it can drive you nuts as to which one you pick.  First of all you should get a number of brands/types to see which one your particular gun shoots best with.  After all the research I've done here are the two mainstays in my stash.  1)  Winchester Super-X 40 gr Subsonic HP  and 2)  Aquila Interceptors

No comments:

Post a Comment