Sunday, March 14, 2010

Options

I've mentioned redundancy before, but here is a graphic example of it for you.  One of the objectives of prepping is to provide options for yourself, now and in the future.  Options and redundancy go hand in hand.  Here are my lighting options for when the power goes out.




The funny thing is I didn't even realize how many flashlights I had til I rounded them all up for this photo.

So I've got flashlights and battery powered lanterns for easy and instant lighting.  I've got flashlights that take AAA, AA, C, and D size batteries.   I've got a few of the wind up type flashlights and lanterns that don't use batteries.  I've got a Hot-blast Dietz kerosene lantern, a kerosene lamp, and a (kerosene) Aladdin lamp.  I bought a ten pack of kerosene burners designed to be used with Mason jars.  I figure that two of them mounted on the small 4 oz jars will be sufficient to cook with if necessary.   I also bought a 10 pack of small glass tubes designed to be used to make liquid candles.   I've got a dual-fuel Coleman lantern that can use regular gasoline as well as Coleman fuel.  I've got a propane lantern.  I have a cigar box full of spare parts, wicks and mantles.  Wal-mart sells Coleman mantles in 4 packs for about $2; I buy two or three each time I'm there.  I found a box of 864 Tealight candles that I couldn't pass up.

I could do a pic like this of my home heating options, as well as my food cooking options, and my energy producing options, but I think you get the idea.

Options, they are good to have, get yourself some now while it's still easy to do so. 

Also, I learned something last month when the power went out from the epic snowstorm:  those cute little battery lanterns that Wal-mart sells for $5 are garbage.  It's the one in the middle - and it's on high! 





I'd much more highly recommend the LED mini-maglight.  The LED lantern on the right uses D batteries and can be found at Deal Xtreme and also works well.


No comments:

Post a Comment